Votes: 32 49.2%
  • NO

Votes: 33 50.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

coo

The question is simple. Do you think that RP hotkeys, similar to those used by the PD to read Miranda rights, should be allowed?

YES: RP hotkeys should be allowed with the exception that they are not to be used during gunfights, robberies, or any situation in which they could be interpreted as PG

NO: RP hotkeys should be completely disallowed, across the board.

My opinion is that RP hotkeys allow facilitation of many types of RP. For example, playing blackjack or another card game. I have been doing a lot of gambling RP and it is so much nicer when the dealer is able to use hotkeys to RP what action is happening on the table, who's cards are who's etc, especially when the games repeat over and over. If this were removed, all of this extra RP would disappear, and the whole thing would lose its fun and take 10x longer to do. I also can not imagine that a dealer would like to sit there and type the same messages over and over again when we are RPing.

Another example is possibly a mechanic. Maybe you like to actually RP beyond the auto RP of "First_Last fixes the car", for instance looking around the engine bay, checking out the car, lifting up the hood, etc. Allowing hotkeys would make this persons life so much easier over time and expand the amount of RP that takes place, rather than the usual lazy encounter in which someone types /pay, and the other /fixcar.

I'm sure that PD can attest to the usefulness of hotkeys for their work. In my opinion, banning them would cut out so much RP potential, which makes no sense as this is a RP server. Once again, you would not be allowed to use them during gunfights, robberies, or any situation in which they allow you to powergame. Many other servers allow this, including the late MTG, RCRP, and HZRP among many others.

The opposing opinion is that the use of RP hotkeys is lazy. I understand that viewpoint but I do not think that allowing hotkeys would suddenly make everyones RP lazy. I don't think that for two reasons, one being that I'm pretty sure most of the players thought they were allowed to use them already, and they havent been lazy. The other reason being: If you remove a feature that makes RP easier, how will that encourage people to RP better? You will see either much less RP, or very minimal, lazy RP from the players who previously took advantage of such a tool.

I encourage those of you to speak your mind on whether or not you believe this feature has a place on the server. Behind the scenes, staff was unable to come up with a decision that we all could agree on.

Thompson

/me reads criminal their miranda rights. Doesn't even need to be hotkeyed. Spamming miranda rights just fills the chat of shite. If you want to roleplay and develop a character, hotkeys have no place in a roleplay server.

Techy

Jack of all Trades
SA:MP Moderator
SA:MP Mapper
SA:MP Tester
Originally thought why not but the only real need for it is robbery or cops. Everyone's gunna pull up, hotkey, drop em and slide. Take your time to RP.

Evan Frigus

Without hotkeys, things like blackjack and LVPD will become a lot harder and will probably invlove less RP if hotkeys aren't allowed.

coo

Originally thought why not but the only real need for it is robbery or cops. Everyone's gunna pull up, hotkey, drop em and slide. Take your time to RP.
Read the exception, this would not be allowed.

J

Jake

I also can not imagine that a dealer would like to sit there and type the same messages over and over again when we are RPing.
Another example is possibly a mechanic
These are two great examples of where hotkeys are useful. I agree that there should be limitations on when/where RP hotkeys are used. But I think there are situations where they're useful too.

Koky

YES: RP hotkeys should be allowed with the exception that they are not to be used during gunfights, robberies, or any situation in which they could be interpreted as PG
I hate this whole "during gunfights".

Gun fights shouldn't have to be roleplay whatsoever. Killing someone is 9/10 times supposed to be unexpected. Straight up see them, withdraw, bang, dead.

coo

I hate this whole "during gunfights".

Gun fights shouldn't have to be roleplay whatsoever. Killing someone is 9/10 times supposed to be unexpected. Straight up see them, withdraw, bang, dead.
This is to make it clear that you cant roll up on someone with a /me pulls gun hotkey and waste them for no reason.

Koky

This is to make it clear that you cant roll up on someone with a /me pulls gun hotkey and waste them for no reason.
Isn't that deathmatching then, since there is no reason?

But either way, let's say they have a reason.

Wouldn't it better that they used a hotkey rather than not roleplay something at all?

Like I said, roleplay or not, shouldn't change the output, if you have a valid reason to kill someone, you shouldn't have to roleplay it in my opinion as it is supposed to be as unexpected as possible.

Techy

Jack of all Trades
SA:MP Moderator
SA:MP Mapper
Read the exception, this would not be allowed.
That's why I originally thought otherwise, but just because it's not allowed doesn't mean people won't do it. Hotkeys are a blessing but also a curse.

Ben

syke
RP Hotkeys are lazy, gooby and make no sense. It takes all the fun out of roleplaying if you are RP'ing with someone that's just spamming their hotkeys; how is that fun for the other parties involved? It completely ruins the interaction between players if you have one idiot spamming their hotkeys... Regardless of what is for, whether it be mechanic or whatever, it just ruins the fun. It's like trying to have a conversation with a bot, you might as well just not RP if you going to be spamming the same hotkeys over and over again. It's not unique and shows zero character development, it looks bad on the server. It also means that it would have to be defined as to what is allowed and what isn't and this ALWAYS leads to gray areas and it's all just so unnecessary.

Juicebox.

Couldn't somebody just copy and paste something for when they need it? Hotkeys for roleplay tho is something I dont like. It leads to the same drawn out roleplay lines

Nick

In my opinion RP hotkeys just spam the chat with repeated nonsense. If someone wants to RP something, they can type it out.

Thompson

NO: RP hotkeys should be completely disallowed, across the board.
I think this is incredibly misleading.

You're stating that they can either be disallowed or allowed with very vague exceptions - which doesn't seem like you're trying to promote fair discussion. You'd be better of saying that they can't be used for gunfights, robberies or to powergame, but everything else, go for it! This lack of clarity would allow people to just create hotkeys for whatever they want, not providing any benefit to roleplay, leading to a tedious and scripted experience for all parties involved.

What was proposed quite heavily within the staff discussion is that they should be accepted for a minority of people throughout the server, and for even fewer reasons. The PD should be able to use them for purpose of Miranda Rights - although even this I'm not entirely fond of because you can roleplay this with a short and concise /me - and further to that, for their megaphones because it's unrealistic to expect to them to type out a message to whoever they are pulling over before they have lost them entirely.

It feels like you're trying to sway the narrative towards accepting the use of hotkeys server-wide by promoting that they won't allowed for gunfights, robberies, all the obvious scenarios where they would never be allowed - and by doing so, it gives the impression that you're completely disregarding the impact roleplay hotkeys have on a players experience.

mooney

Ostrich Tamer
Sanwa Bidonvil
Just make it so you don't have to RP pulling a trigger. In the famous words of Rickles "Time for talking is over"

RPing shooting literally adds nothing to the RP, once they RP pulling out their weapon, you should be allowed to shoot whenever if given proper reason to.

For example:

* Negus McClean pulls back the trigger, unloading shots into insert_name

I don't see how this RP adds any value to a situation, granted if you have the time in a kidnapping situation I'd RP sending the final shot but for instance, if I find someone I have a valid reason to kill and I have to RP shooting them before I do shoot them it just gives them extra time to escape a situation they otherwise wouldn't escape.

Last edited:

coo

I think this is incredibly misleading.

You're stating that they can either be disallowed or allowed with very vague exceptions - which doesn't seem like you're trying to promote fair discussion. You'd be better of saying that they can't be used for gunfights, robberies or to powergame, but everything else, go for it! This lack of clarity would allow people to just create hotkeys for whatever they want, not providing any benefit to roleplay, leading to a tedious and scripted experience for all parties involved.

What was proposed quite heavily within the staff discussion is that they should be accepted for a minority of people throughout the server, and for even fewer reasons. The PD should be able to use them for purpose of Miranda Rights - although even this I'm not entirely fond of because you can roleplay this with a short and concise /me - and further to that, for their megaphones because it's unrealistic to expect to them to type out a message to whoever they are pulling over before they have lost them entirely.

It feels like you're trying to sway the narrative towards accepting the use of hotkeys server-wide by promoting that they won't allowed for gunfights, robberies, all the obvious scenarios where they would never be allowed - and by doing so, it gives the impression that you're completely disregarding the impact roleplay hotkeys have on a players experience.
I asked for people to share their opinion on how they feel about the issue. I know that had I not mentioned those scenarios, the thread would just be full of people saying no because of stuff like hotkeys for "/me pulls my gun and shoots you". I don't think anyone wants that to be allowed, for obvious reasons, and this is why I brought it up right off the bat. Uncovering other potential negative outcomes of allowing the use of hotkeys is one of the purposes of this thread, hence me asking for everyones opinion.

If I didn't care about the opposing argument, I wouldn't have posted a thread to discuss it :LOL:

Last edited:

coo

Just make it so you don't have to RP pulling a trigger. In the famous words of Rickles "Time for talking is over"

RPing shooting literally adds nothing to the RP, once they RP pulling out their weapon, you should be allowed to shoot whenever if given proper reason to.

For example:

* Negus McClean pulls back the trigger, unloading shots into insert_name

I don't see how this RP adds any value to a situation, granted if you have the time in a kidnapping situation I'd RP sending the final shot but for instance, if I find someone I have a valid reason to kill and I have to RP shooting them before I do shoot them it just gives them extra time to escape a situation they otherwise wouldn't escape.
I somewhat agree with you here, however I think this is a whole other argument. I think replies here are just based on assuming the status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.